Pages

Cookware and Recipes You Will Love!!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Prize Winning, Mouth Watering Homemade Pickles!

Bread and Butter Sliced Pickles




Okay these pickles are just simply amazing! While at my grandma's house I stumbled unto a glass bowl with what appeared to be a bunch of sliced vegetables. I thought it looked good so I pulled it out of the fridge and uncovered it. To my surprise it was pickles...I don't know why it didn't dawn on me before that you could make your own pickles. I tried one expecting it to be good but not as good as my favorite bread and butter pickles. They definitely were not as good as my "previous" favorite pickles they were so much BETTER!! I begged for the recipe and now I am sharing it with you guys...ENJOY!

Ingredients:

6 c. cucumbers, sliced
3 med. onions, sliced
1 sweet green pepper
1/2 c. canning salt
2 c. vinegar
2 c. boiling water
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 c. sugar  
Directions: 

 1. Mix cucumbers, onions, green pepper and salt; let stand 2 hours.
2. Drain and rinse off excess salt.

3. Combine vinegar, boiling water, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric and sugar.

4. Bring to a boil. Combine with cucumbers. Cook 5 minutes.

5. EITHER: Pack into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace OR put pickles in an air tight container and store in the fridge (just depending if you are going to use them at a later time or eat in the next day or so)

*The pickles are best eaten chilled in the fridge!




2 comments:

  1. They are great and easy. Great taste too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone I give them to, love them. Time to make more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete